The designer who was first noticed for his unique leatherwork now sells his creations across the country and abroad. Holt Renfrew, the chain of high-end department stores, has showcased his collections for several seasons now. A brief meeting with designer Denis Gagnon.
1. How would you describe your style?
2. What are your sources of inspiration?
I draw inspiration first and foremost from materials. Volume and highly novel touches come later. I like to surprise people.
3. What will your next collection look like?
It will be a continuation of the collection before the most recent one.
4. How would you describe the Denis Gagnon woman?
The Denis Gagnon woman is a strong, independent woman who is comfortable with who she is. She’s also a woman who can feel sexy without revealing too much.
5. You have already been the subject of a movie and of an exhibition at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Could you disclose a few of your upcoming projects?
I plan to design costumes for a play and collaborate with a department store.
6. You, Andy Thê-Anh, Marie Saint-Pierre, Philippe Dubuc…What is your perspective on Quebec fashion?
Can it be exported? Quebec designs could be exported if funding for creators was part of the equation.